Saturday 2 June 2007

Step by step.

Where have you walked to today? Did you walk to the car? Did you walk down the road and see a friend.
Where will you be walking to? A day from now, a year and on.
Where did you walk when you were little? To the beach? To the front room? To a friends house?

It occurred to me yesterday, something quite simple. You've probably realised it yourself at some point in your life.

But I am literally walking to my last day on this planet. My last day of life. My life is all the footsteps, either side of the sit downs, I will ever make. We all walk to our very definite future.
Every single step I take, is like one little piece of sand falling into the bottom of the hour glass. Each and every step.

We walk to destinations. We will walk to the finite place of our being.

It's interesting. It's inescapable. My feet are carrying me to the end of my life. I'd never really thought of it as being a destination. I don't even know how I will get there. But I will get there.

I've left a trail of footprints behind me, some I can see still, others are long gone from view and forgotten. With an invisible unforeseeable track ahead of me.

I cannot stop it either. I will walk, regardless if I'm going to fall, regardless of where I'm going. I will walk. It's the inevitable focus of our being. We will all go somewhere.

Even if it's to and from the same place like clockwork. I walk to work and back from work everyday. Each step is one less to the end of me. When I get up from my desk I will continue my march, to my very last step.

I am connected to the beginning and end. A passage, a hallway, with pictures of things and happenings. Such is life.

I suppose it's plainly obvious really. Each thing we do, is one step closer to whatever.

Whatever. I don't know where my feet are going to take me. But, I know where I stand now and perhaps, I should take a moment and sit down. The inevitable of my life will happen. So perhaps I should really make the most of now. This moment and not worry about what place I will go. I am going somewhere, that will be formed of the steps I take now. Maybe I should choose them now, rather than throw my thoughts far to the future, far into the unseeable. I cannot know my last step. I can only choose the ones I'm going to make now.

Step by step. Piece by piece. Letter by, yeah you know. Meh... idiosyncrasies of being me.

I've got a day off tomorrow. I need to take care of my back, it's in a bit of a bad way. So I'll go for a long walk tomorrow. I'll also, soon, be getting back to swimming. Yay... Probably after my holiday.

4 days before I jet off. Can't wait...

No comments: