Saturday 17 March 2007

Ubuntu.

I am currently running it through its paces. I downloaded it to a cd and booted my machine from it.

It's the first time I've ever used a different operating system from windows. It's a refreshing change. However, I am a fish out of water and have no idea where all the more intricate things exist. I am going to do a lot of digging around.

The desktop is pretty slick. I like the way you can switch between workspace's. Although I wonder if there's any real need. Although, I suppose that would probably cut out clutter on one work space. I could browse the web on one and work within the computer on the other.

There's the gimp image editor that I've had a brief look at. It looks to be fully suited and booted.

Firefox is there. Fabby.

There are some nice little games in the applications. There's an Ekiga softphone, that I will need to find out about and lots of other bits and bobs. All of which I will need to read up about.

The only thing that bothers me at the moment is that I can't yet use all the hardware on my machine. My memory card reader doesn't work. I tried loading up some pictures to the machine via it, but nowt happened.

It's refreshing to use something new. I don't know that I'll make the switch just yet. I need to find out much more before I do.

Which I can. I'll post the pictures once I'm back in old familiar windows. I really hope Ubuntu and other os's start to make their presence felt. It'll be good for computing.

No comments: