Wednesday 23 May 2007

D'oh!

Around the first of the month, whilst at blerk (work) business was the main conversational topic for a brief moment.

"Red Robin, you have to go to a meeting on the 23rd." The white Russian told me a few weeks ago.

"Oh, what about?" I asked.

"It's a once monthly meeting to discuss the administration at the shop. You get marked green for good, red for bad."

"Hm, sounds simple enough" I said feeling rather apprehensive about it. I'm not a huge fan of meetings.

Fast forward to today.

"Red Robin, you know about the something something something meeting today, don't you?"

"Yes" I replied, really having wanted it to be swept under the carpet and forgotten about.

I knew I had to leave at 12, I knew I would have to find the place. Which I did, just in the nick of time.

It wasn't that hard to get to from where I was.

I walked into the shop and signed in as a guest, I was then free to move around. I had with me my backpack with the black file holding all the paperwork the White Russian gave me. I knew nothing much of what was in it though. Just rubbish old paperwork.

I was shown upstairs to where the gentlemen I was supposed to meet was. I peered through the window and saw him, not what I'd expected, going on what everyone had been describing him as. I opened the door and walked in.

"Hello, how was your journey?" He asked.

"Oh, it was alright, just came straight up from blah blah"

He turned to his computer screen and said "Right, do you have the EJ sheets?"

I just looked at him and suddenly felt like Homer Simpson when he's sitting down being asked some questions.

'Uh oh, something was said, not sure what it was, wait, no one's speaking better say something fast'

"Er, which file would they be with?" I had to ask. Not having a clue what he was on about. The training I've had does not cover any of this fancy lingo.

He just looked at me and I not really being able to articulate myself any better than Homer. I started fumbling through the various files within the folder and decided to just take them all out. I felt a bit of a nonse sat there.

He gave up on me and wait for the paperwork that I'd spread out before us. He grabbed a file and opened it up. He looked through it. "Where's the blah blah?" He asked.

'uh oh, he's talking more, I really wish I hadn't drunk all that tea earlier. Ohhh, what time is it now, I've still gotta stay here. I'm hungry, man I wish I had a burger round about now. Mm, nice juicy burger.'

I really didn't know what the hell he was on about. I also started to get a little angry with the white Russian. Why would she have dumped this on me, when quite clearly she knew what was involved and knew I didn't know anything about it at all.

The lady in the office before I left has said "That's not on really, she shouldn't be sending you out. She's had the training, you don't know what anything is."

How right she was. I can only imagine the hell that awaits me tomorrow. Plus the figures didn't balance today.

sigh...

I can only hope to pull a Homer-esque performance and save my skin through sheer ineptitude.

Or grin and bear it. I've got three days off soon... Yay... Then a holiday... yay... Then more blerk... neigh....

Night.

No comments: