Tuesday 2 January 2007

Where are you from?

I get asked this question a lot where I work. Namely because I'm one of the few English people during my shift time. I work with loads of different cultures, from Poland to Thailand, right through Europe to Asia. Diversity is a lovely thing in many ways.

So, lots of peeople at work with me ask the question. "Where are you from?"

To which I reply, "I'm from here, London. I'm a native."

"No, you can't be." They all say in response. They all reckon I'm Italian or Spanish, some form of European, anything but English.

When I insist that, yes, I am REALLY an EnglishLondoner, they ask "Where are your parents from?"

"They're from London too. I'm a third generation Londoner." I reply.

"No, they can't be. Are you sure?" they respond. "Am I sure?!?!?"

Sometimes it can be quite baffling. I'm sure deep down they still think I'm from elsewhere but these lands I inhabit. Sigh...

Multicultural living provides some interesting challenges. Although, I very much like my friends from other places.

Speaking of friend, I want to go see my Italian friend. She's recently brought a new born into the world and is busy being a mum. I've not seen her in a while and would be nice to.

Anyway time to go. I've a day off tomorrow and I'm going to see another friend.

No comments: